Students at South Valley Academy will use a Google G Suite for Education account to complete a considerable amount of their coursework, especially during virtual instruction. All student accounts are managed by SVA and allow students to access SVA-specific versions of Google Apps. These include:
- Google Calendar
- Google Classroom
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Keep
- Google Meet (students cannot start their own meetings and can only join one started by a teacher)
- Educational Android apps as allowed by SVA
SVA has switched its student computer model from traditional Windows and Mac laptops to Chromebooks. These small, lightweight computers allow us to give students access to the resources they need while ensuring that their data is securely managed. Chromebooks integrate with G Suite to provide an easy and effective way for students to access their schoolwork.
During virtual instruction, an SVA Chromebook was made available to every student. Any family who is still in need of a computer during virtual instruction should call our front office at 505-452-3132.
Technology Ethics and Responsibility
SVA students are expected to adhere to the same rules in a virtual environment that would normally apply in the classroom. All students agree to the technology ethics and responsibility policy when signing their Student Handbook during registration. To read the full policy, reference our Student Handbook.
South Valley Academy uses Bark (bark.us) to monitor student activity on all SVA G Suite accounts. Bark automatically scans student accounts for inappropriate or potentially unsafe behavior which mentions the following:
- Cyberbullying, violence, and weapons
- Sexual content
- Hate speech and profanity
- Drugs and alcohol
- Emotional wellness: anxiety, depression, suicidal tendencies
- Threats of physical or emotional violence
- Self harm or medically concerning behavior
Bark will alert the Dean of Students if issues arise, and the issue will be referred to the appropriate SVA social worker or outside authorities if needed.
Security and Privacy: Data and Video Conferencing
- SVA G Suite data is owned by South Valley Academy and contained within our SVA Google domain. Data contained within this domain is restricted to those who have an SVA account.
- Both G Suite and Bark maintain FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and COPPA (Children's Online Protection Act) compliance.
- Teachers are encouraged to record their Google Meet and Zoom classes for the benefit of students who are absent or cannot join the class because of technical difficulties.
- Confidential meetings, such as IEPs and social work consultation, will not be recorded.
- These recordings will not be made public and will not be accessible outside of SVA's G Suite domain.
- Photos, screenshots, or secondary recordings of video calls is not allowed.